Saying goodbye is never easy, in fact it's one of the most difficult things to do. Our strength is being tested today as we make the decision for Botti that means we have to put his needs before ours. 
I will never forget the day we drove to get Botti. It was a complete surprise to Emma, a Minnesota spring day, March 2006. She was grumpy about having to go to the Twin Cities with us, thinking it was about getting stuff for the store. But then we pulled up to Petco in Eden Prairie, again she thought we were just picking up things for the cats and Rosie. Then we got inside and met up with the animal shelter there for pet adoption day and asked to see the collie puppies we had inquired about. That's when we met Botti and a few of his litter mates. His eyes captured our hearts. Emma's smile was priceless when we asked if we should bring him home.Botti hasn't had an easy road health-wise, but he made it clear that he would always watch over "his girls". He loved everyone, was gentle with every person or living thing, could calm or comfort anyone near him. His gentle spirit and soul is unlike any other. I still remember the day he stood guard over a nest of wild baby rabbits in the yard.
Life will not be the same without our Botti Boy. Today, I don't want to be the adult. I don't want to put his needs over the pain in my heart at the thought of not having him by my side. But I know as he crosses that Rainbow Bridge, he will run pain free once again. He will meet up with Rosie and they will run laps. He will meet up with his besties Treeva and Byrdi and they will play for hours. His body and legs will no longer fail him. I know he will continue to watch over his girls, just as he has for the past 11 years. His favorite spot in the yard, where he would watch over the girls as they played, will be empty.
| Botti, Joelle and Aryn |
| Botti and Joelle |
So goodbye my friend. This is a goodbye I will never be ready for, but we love you too much to continue to watch you stumble and fall.
| Botti and Emma |
Comments
Post a Comment