Skip to main content

Another Blur of a Weekend

This should really be of no surprise to anyone who knows us and reads the blog, but yet another busy weekend has come to a close!  Although it was crazy busy and I'm exhausted, I wouldn't trade one minute of it.  Well except maybe for all of the coughing from this lingering cold...


Friday found me chaperoning 4 of my favorite ladies - Queen Jennifer, Princess Cynthia, Princess Kelsey and Jr Princess Madison - to the Redwood Falls parade.  For a June evening, it was a bit brisk and filled with spotty showers.  We started at 5 PM with some quick photos of the ladies by the Granite Falls dam for publicity use.  The girls looked so great in their black dresses topped with jean jackets - classic!  Of course, they always look great.  We headed to Redwood Falls and found ourselves in the Fire Station taking pictures (proof they were there) before the parade started.  Fearing rain, we had the girls also bring blankets to have on the float with them and their umbrellas!  Good thinking since it started raining on them with about 15 minutes to go in the parade!  They still sparkled and smiled.  Going to miss these girls....  With most of the parade watchers departing in the rain I was slightly bummed as I had hoped to record Emma carrying the banner for the 212 Regiment Band!  I figured they called it a parade as well and were approaching the buses as we left town.  I pulled into the driveway at about 9:30 Friday night, thinking Emma should be calling shortly saying they have arrived back in town as well.  Finally 2 hours later she called saying they were finally back home.  WHAT??? REALLY?  So the kids were wet and the uniforms had to be unloaded and out of bags to dry.  My word.. that was a late night.


Saturday morning was probably the first weekend morning where our thoughts weren't on having to get down to the store.  That still brings a roller coaster of emotions... but it did mean we could head out to the Carter farm as a family and have some equine fun!  Emma worked with Lena and became reacquainted.  They are quite the matched pair.  Bob worked with Apache and JoJo and I watched, played with Charlie the dog, Kitty the cat and JoJo had her first time on a horse!  Apache was a good boy.  The rest of the herd had to check out the little person too.  They were all so great and JoJo either ignored them or squealed with delight.  We enjoyed a quick lunch in the yard and then came bath time for Lena.  There was a lot of water and more than the horse got wet.  But good laughs were enjoyed.  At one point I wasn't sure Emma was breathing she was laughing so hard at the thought of her dad getting bit in the tooshie by the horse.  Good times!  This was all leading up to the big event for the day - the Granite Go Getters 4H Farm Tour!

This is the day when we travel across the country side, visiting the farms of the kids with projects to share.  It's a good time for the kids to practice speaking and show us what they are working with to bring to the fair.  Traditionally this would be held closer to the fair time and be a time for kids to get input on the animals they are bringing.  For our club, it's just a fun time to see what everyone has going on and the kids love it.  We started on the road a little after 2:30 for the tour to start at 3:00.  We got home a little after 8:30 pm.  Long day, but a fun day looking at everyone's farm sites and animals!  This year Emma just showed everyone her horse Lena, the new pony Apache and her wood shop project that she worked on with Grandpa Carter - wooden nest boxes for the rabbits!

Today was declared Girls' Day by my sister Katy.  So, Emma, Joelle and I picked her up at 1 PM and we headed to Willmar for a little pampering and shopping.  This was also the reward for Emma making it on the B honor roll!!!  She works so hard for those grades - we're so proud of her.

And now on to a long week at work.... so much more on that subject, but who has time!  Western Fest is around the corner!  This week's primary goal is the pageant program design and completion!  Looking forward to "A Western Wish" in less than 2 weeks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today.... The next chapter

And here we are... October of 2020. I'm not sure where the time has gone, while struggling between feeling it has gone too fast and yet being ready for things to move along and leave a few chapters in the past. To say that 2020 has tested our strength is a bit understated. But, even on our worst days and weeks - we have come out smiling.  Don't get me wrong, those smiles aren't always easy and sometimes they mask the exhaustion, the grief and the tears. But boy when they are truly out of happy moments and seeing how we survive from these difficult times, those smiles are worth millions. Today... was a day that hit me hard... unexpectedly hard. Today, being everything I need to be right now is hard...  it's exhausting... it's daunting... it's what this chapter is.  Today... oh boy today has been a hot mess... It was a recognition of how much I'm grieving and still so thankful for this life we have. I'm so thankful to have an amazing friend, Erica...

And here we are in 2019!

I've gotten away from regularly writing, and with the start of 2019 I decided now is the time to revisit writing! It's a great way to look at events happening in our lives and remind ourselves of the blessings we have no matter how busy or complicated life gets! Part of 2019 includes returning to school work for me. As I look at my future goals for my career, I decided the time is now to look at getting my degree in Organizational Leadership.  I applied for admission to Metropolitan State University ( www.metrostate.edu ) and started courses in January! 1 week in and I'm already wondering why I thought this was a great idea. This first semester back at it will most likely be the most difficult as I'm taking on 3 courses - if I survive this, I'll be able to make this happen! What this means is fitting in course work during lunch breaks and after the girls head to bed, and of course hours on the weekends. If I look a little tired, this may explain the bags under m...

Saying Goodbye

Saying goodbye is never easy, in fact it's one of the most difficult things to do.  Our strength is being tested today as we make the decision for Botti that means we have to put his needs before ours. I will never forget the day we drove to get Botti.  It was a complete surprise to Emma, a Minnesota spring day, March 2006.  She was grumpy about having to go to the Twin Cities with us, thinking it was about getting stuff for the store.  But then we pulled up to Petco in Eden Prairie, again she thought we were just picking up things for the cats and Rosie.  Then we got inside and met up with the animal shelter there for pet adoption day and asked to see the collie puppies we had inquired about.  That's when we met Botti and a few of his litter mates.  His eyes captured our hearts.  Emma's smile was priceless when we asked if we should bring him home. Botti hasn't had an easy road health-wise, but he made it clear that he would always watch over...