Skip to main content

A High School Junior.... wait... WHAT?

September 4, 1995 doesn't seem that long ago, the day Emma Roxanne finally arrived in the early hours of the morning.  And life has never been the same....

Marking her 17th birthday was the start of her junior year at Yellow Medicine East High School.  Seems unreal to think she only has one more "first day" of primary education.  The night before the first day, we went through the clothing options and straightened her hair, calming the jitters as much as we could. 

The morning of she was up without any prodding from a parent and even helped get Joelle up and ready for the day so we could take first day of school pictures.  Joelle was the least excited of all on what was happening this day.  To the point that after Emma said goodbye and left to catch the school bus Joelle began to cry and demand "Emma come HOME!" finished with the stomp of the foot and arms crossed.  I have expected her to grab her Minnie Mouse backpack and run after her saying "JoJo go wiff, JoJo go wiff", which is a common phrase around here too.  Once to her own "school" Joelle was fine and was happy to see Emma at the end of the day.

The day also came with the surprise arrival of Aryn's first tooth!  Little Doodle Bug had been cranky during parts of the weekend, which is not like the normally laid back, smiley little girl!  On Sunday I thought I saw a hint of white but could not feel anything.  Well Tuesday morning it broke through!  Although she apparently has still decided screaming is fun and now does it with a smile.

We topped the day off with Grand Champion cake shared with family!  What a special treat to have so many right here in town and then to have Emma serenaded with cousin Kaylia's violin rendition of Happy Birthday was pretty special!  The little girls started fading fast after cake was shared and gifts opened and the night started winding down.  With the little girls in bed Emma and I worked on her photographs from her New Orleans trip and tried to get everything in order for Emma and Allison Carmany to work on a video for the Sept. 16th church service sharing their experience with the congregation.  It was fun to hear her talk about their adventures again and see the pictures set to music!

So, let the newest adventure begin!  Pep band schedule on the fridge, high school bowling schedule coming soon, confirmation schedule already on the calendar, possible rabbit shows penciled in, work trips and presentations for me and re-interning at ACMC in Willmar for Bob.  Yep, going to be a busy fall.... keep those planners handy.

Joelle didn't want to be in the picture...

Emma and Aryn

First day as a High School Junior!

A sad JoJo when Emma left for school.

Birthday balloons!

Grand Champion cake!

Emma and Papa = best buds

The Birthday Girl!

Emma and cousin Kaylia
Aryn - the day before the tooth broke through!

Comments

  1. Poor little JoJO. How special that they have that sisterly bond!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today.... The next chapter

And here we are... October of 2020. I'm not sure where the time has gone, while struggling between feeling it has gone too fast and yet being ready for things to move along and leave a few chapters in the past. To say that 2020 has tested our strength is a bit understated. But, even on our worst days and weeks - we have come out smiling.  Don't get me wrong, those smiles aren't always easy and sometimes they mask the exhaustion, the grief and the tears. But boy when they are truly out of happy moments and seeing how we survive from these difficult times, those smiles are worth millions. Today... was a day that hit me hard... unexpectedly hard. Today, being everything I need to be right now is hard...  it's exhausting... it's daunting... it's what this chapter is.  Today... oh boy today has been a hot mess... It was a recognition of how much I'm grieving and still so thankful for this life we have. I'm so thankful to have an amazing friend, Erica...

And here we are in 2019!

I've gotten away from regularly writing, and with the start of 2019 I decided now is the time to revisit writing! It's a great way to look at events happening in our lives and remind ourselves of the blessings we have no matter how busy or complicated life gets! Part of 2019 includes returning to school work for me. As I look at my future goals for my career, I decided the time is now to look at getting my degree in Organizational Leadership.  I applied for admission to Metropolitan State University ( www.metrostate.edu ) and started courses in January! 1 week in and I'm already wondering why I thought this was a great idea. This first semester back at it will most likely be the most difficult as I'm taking on 3 courses - if I survive this, I'll be able to make this happen! What this means is fitting in course work during lunch breaks and after the girls head to bed, and of course hours on the weekends. If I look a little tired, this may explain the bags under m...

Saying Goodbye

Saying goodbye is never easy, in fact it's one of the most difficult things to do.  Our strength is being tested today as we make the decision for Botti that means we have to put his needs before ours. I will never forget the day we drove to get Botti.  It was a complete surprise to Emma, a Minnesota spring day, March 2006.  She was grumpy about having to go to the Twin Cities with us, thinking it was about getting stuff for the store.  But then we pulled up to Petco in Eden Prairie, again she thought we were just picking up things for the cats and Rosie.  Then we got inside and met up with the animal shelter there for pet adoption day and asked to see the collie puppies we had inquired about.  That's when we met Botti and a few of his litter mates.  His eyes captured our hearts.  Emma's smile was priceless when we asked if we should bring him home. Botti hasn't had an easy road health-wise, but he made it clear that he would always watch over...