Skip to main content

The Seed... Love you Gramps...

For nearly 15 years I have walked by this sign on nearly every day of work... 




and every time I walk by, I turn and look at Grandpa Lundell's name and say a quick hello.  (And frequently a "boy I wish you were here...")  I can't count the number of times I have walked to the end of the building to "talk" to Grandpa and ask him to be there with me today...

I frequently wonder if this is what he had in mind... I wonder how much discussion and conflict he faced when the Granite Falls Board of Education decided to make this investment in the community for post-secondary education options.  Did he have any idea how much this building would mean to his family?  My mom taught here for 30+ years, I attended school here and made some of the most important decisions of my life as a single mom, earned my degree and then landed a job that has turned into a career for the State of Minnesota in Information Technology and Education. 

And I frequently hear Grandpa asking me the question "I've laid the seed, what are you going to do with it Lisa?"  

Yes, Grandpa, you did lay the seed, you led the construction of this building, you and Grandma, along with Grandma and Grandpa Hedlund, taught all of us the importance of doing something for the community and others, and giving back.  And more importantly, the joy you get when you do give back.  The seed is there, the roots are embedded, now it's time to see what that seed can become...


Thank you Grandpa for all you did in your life on earth, for all the people you helped, for all the seeds you planted and for all the love you shared. I can't believe it's been 18 years since we last saw you... I miss you so much every day.
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today.... The next chapter

And here we are... October of 2020. I'm not sure where the time has gone, while struggling between feeling it has gone too fast and yet being ready for things to move along and leave a few chapters in the past. To say that 2020 has tested our strength is a bit understated. But, even on our worst days and weeks - we have come out smiling.  Don't get me wrong, those smiles aren't always easy and sometimes they mask the exhaustion, the grief and the tears. But boy when they are truly out of happy moments and seeing how we survive from these difficult times, those smiles are worth millions. Today... was a day that hit me hard... unexpectedly hard. Today, being everything I need to be right now is hard...  it's exhausting... it's daunting... it's what this chapter is.  Today... oh boy today has been a hot mess... It was a recognition of how much I'm grieving and still so thankful for this life we have. I'm so thankful to have an amazing friend, Erica...

And here we are in 2019!

I've gotten away from regularly writing, and with the start of 2019 I decided now is the time to revisit writing! It's a great way to look at events happening in our lives and remind ourselves of the blessings we have no matter how busy or complicated life gets! Part of 2019 includes returning to school work for me. As I look at my future goals for my career, I decided the time is now to look at getting my degree in Organizational Leadership.  I applied for admission to Metropolitan State University ( www.metrostate.edu ) and started courses in January! 1 week in and I'm already wondering why I thought this was a great idea. This first semester back at it will most likely be the most difficult as I'm taking on 3 courses - if I survive this, I'll be able to make this happen! What this means is fitting in course work during lunch breaks and after the girls head to bed, and of course hours on the weekends. If I look a little tired, this may explain the bags under m...

Saying Goodbye

Saying goodbye is never easy, in fact it's one of the most difficult things to do.  Our strength is being tested today as we make the decision for Botti that means we have to put his needs before ours. I will never forget the day we drove to get Botti.  It was a complete surprise to Emma, a Minnesota spring day, March 2006.  She was grumpy about having to go to the Twin Cities with us, thinking it was about getting stuff for the store.  But then we pulled up to Petco in Eden Prairie, again she thought we were just picking up things for the cats and Rosie.  Then we got inside and met up with the animal shelter there for pet adoption day and asked to see the collie puppies we had inquired about.  That's when we met Botti and a few of his litter mates.  His eyes captured our hearts.  Emma's smile was priceless when we asked if we should bring him home. Botti hasn't had an easy road health-wise, but he made it clear that he would always watch over...