Friday, July 12, 2013
Marlene Jensen's final day on earth... Such a difficult thing to say goodbye to someone who you just wanted to get to know even more. I feel so blessed and am thankful for the time I got to spend with Bob's aunt and am so grateful that she was part of our girls' lives. I will miss her smile and her laugh more than anything, it definitely was contagious.
Marlene fought the fight against cancer, and had won, at least temporarily. And during her victory laps, you could tell she was soaking in everything life would allow her. Her time with her kids and grandkids meant the world to her and she would just beam talking or thinking about them. It is through her kids, grandkids and husband Dan that her memories, legacy and way of being will live on.
I tried thinking about the number of lives she touched in her years of working with children in school systems, and I became overwhelmed.
In February 2013, Marlene heard the words every cancer survivor dreads - the cancer is back. Her breast cancer had spread and it was moving fast. We were able to stop in and visit with Marlene and Dan in April and I am so glad we were able to do that and for her to see her great-nieces in what would turn out to be the last time in person. She just giggled watching Aryn open and close the toy cabinet doors and pull everything out and apart for Bob to put back together. Then Joelle found the magnetic "paper doll" set and Jo and Marlene were set with an activity to do together. Emma quizzed Dan for some great names to use for the latest litters of rabbits and I think we had a great list of MN Twins names by the end of the visit.
The next 2 days will be sad ones as we say our goodbyes. But we will also be trying very hard to celebrate Marlene's life and the time we had with her, rather than the hurt each of us are feeling. For I know that some day I will see Marlene again and I can only imagine the conversations we'll get to have then! Until then Aunt Mar, I know you'll be busy watching over all of us...
Yep, heaven gained a special angel...
Marlene Jensen's final day on earth... Such a difficult thing to say goodbye to someone who you just wanted to get to know even more. I feel so blessed and am thankful for the time I got to spend with Bob's aunt and am so grateful that she was part of our girls' lives. I will miss her smile and her laugh more than anything, it definitely was contagious.
Marlene fought the fight against cancer, and had won, at least temporarily. And during her victory laps, you could tell she was soaking in everything life would allow her. Her time with her kids and grandkids meant the world to her and she would just beam talking or thinking about them. It is through her kids, grandkids and husband Dan that her memories, legacy and way of being will live on.
I tried thinking about the number of lives she touched in her years of working with children in school systems, and I became overwhelmed.
In February 2013, Marlene heard the words every cancer survivor dreads - the cancer is back. Her breast cancer had spread and it was moving fast. We were able to stop in and visit with Marlene and Dan in April and I am so glad we were able to do that and for her to see her great-nieces in what would turn out to be the last time in person. She just giggled watching Aryn open and close the toy cabinet doors and pull everything out and apart for Bob to put back together. Then Joelle found the magnetic "paper doll" set and Jo and Marlene were set with an activity to do together. Emma quizzed Dan for some great names to use for the latest litters of rabbits and I think we had a great list of MN Twins names by the end of the visit.
The next 2 days will be sad ones as we say our goodbyes. But we will also be trying very hard to celebrate Marlene's life and the time we had with her, rather than the hurt each of us are feeling. For I know that some day I will see Marlene again and I can only imagine the conversations we'll get to have then! Until then Aunt Mar, I know you'll be busy watching over all of us...
Yep, heaven gained a special angel...
| Marlene & Dan Jensen with Aryn on her baptism day |
Comments
Post a Comment